The China Lake Heritage Restoration Act
AN ACT to be proposed in the Congress of the United States
“A New Beginning for China Lake, the City of Ridgecrest and the Indian Wells Valley”
- Creates The CL Heritage Redevelopment Agency to facilitate land transfers and Economic Development.
- Builds a Sewage Treatment Facility at the existing location on land transferred to the City.
- Rebuilds CL Golf Course to be a legacy design of original designer William F. Bell as a “Desert Style Course”.
- Provides for Kern County and/or the City to own and manage the CL Golf Course.
- Provides for Navy partnering with the IWV Groundwater Authority for Encroachment Management.
- Provides for acquisition of certain farmland in the Indian Wells Valley along with water rights thereto.
- Replaces most of the existing and functionally obsolete housing on the base with new housing units.
- Provides for the purchase and demolition of the Project formerly known as Wherry Housing.
- Provides for a Planned Unit Development of privately owned affordable housing.
- Designates the Officer’s Club as a National Historic Site.
- Commemorates the historically significant visit of President John F. Kennedy to China Lake June on 6-7 1963.
- Restores and enhances the historic Officer’s Club to be the new John F. Kennedy Naval History Museum at China Lake.
- Builds a new Aquatic, Gymnasium, and Performing Arts Center.
- Provides for increased Navy and public security through relocation of fencing, roads, parks, and bike paths.
CHINA LAKE HERITAGE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY
- Whereas The CL HRA will facilitate LAND transfers and other provisions of this ACT.
- Whereas the City of Ridgecrest’s Successor Redevelopment Agency is ideally suited to accomplish the intention and goals of this ACT.
Naval Air Warfare Station China Lake
- Whereas NAWSCL (NOTS) was originally constructed in the period from 1944 to 1964.
- Whereas NAWSCL performs a critical national defense mission for weapons research, development, and testing.
- Whereas the Navy deems GROUNDWATER RESOURCES the number one mission encroachment issue.
- Whereas the Navy’s ability to recruit and retain talented personnel is integral to critical national defense.
- Whereas the Navy places great emphasis on Morale, Welfare and Recreation, and embraces the whole Community as a critical asset.
- Whereas the Quality of Life in the Community restricts the Navy’s ability to recruit and retain talented personnel.
- Whereas the Navy considers the Community as a major source of Recreation for Navy personnel.
CITY OF RIDGECREST
- Whereas the City is largely dependent on insufficient local tax revenues for basic operations.
- Whereas the City has been in a declared state of fiscal emergency for several years.
- Whereas the City Parks and Recreation Assets are in great disrepair or closed.
- Whereas the City wishes to acquire LAND and Legacy Community Assets to enable Economic Development.
- Whereas the LAND to be transferred is BLM LAND Status Withdrawn by the Navy.
- Whereas the LAND to be transferred is currently incorporated by the City.
ENCROACHMENT MANAGMENT PLAN (NAVFAC)
- Whereas the Navy has notified the IWVGWA of it’s mission critical need for a sustained groundwater supply.
- Whereas the IWVGA wishes to partner with the Navy under the Navy’s Encroachment Management Plan.
- Whereas the EMP enables the Navy and IWVGWA to secure LAND and water rights in the IWV.
LEGACY ASSETS, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- Whereas the LAND is located in a Qualified Opportunity Zone
- Whereas the China Lake legacy is sharing of Community assets between Navy and civilian personnel.
- Whereas community assets and infrastructure are generally in need of repair and redevelopment.
- Whereas the CL Legacy Assets have become inaccessible to most members of the Community.
- Whereas the City’s Economic Development opportunities are severely limited.
- Whereas the LAND transfers and Restoration of Legacy Assets subject to this ACT are critical to Economic Development.
SEWAGE TREATMENT FACILITY, WATER RESOURCES
- Whereas the existing Sewage Treatment Facility is located on the LAND is functionally obsolete.
- Whereas the City wishes to construct a new Sewage Treatment Facility at existing location.
- Whereas the City is prepared and ready to finance and construct a new Sewage Treatment Facility.
- Whereas the new Sewage Treatment Facility will supply potable water to improve groundwater sustainability.
- Whereas the City requires LAND as a prerequisite for financing the Sewage Treatment Facility.
- Whereas the Navy will be a customer of the City’s Sewage Treatment Facility.
SECURITY, FENCING, STREETS AND BIKE PATHS, PARKS, LANDSCAPING, REDEVELOPMENT
- Whereas the CL assets and LAND will require various infrastructure projects and improvements.
- Whereas the China Lake Heritage District will require relocation of fencing and security gates.
- Whereas the REDEVELOPMENT of the China Lake Heritage District transfers LAND to Public Agencies.
HOUSING SHORTAGE, WHERRY HOUSING PROJECT, MILITARY AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING
- Whereas all housing at NAWSCL is over 50 years old, functionally obsolete, and in great need of replacement.
- Whereas the History of China Lake’s construction and demolition has resulted in haphazard development throughout the Community.
- Whereas the Project formerly known as Navy’s Wherry Housing is blighted and qualifies for Redevelopment with H.U.D. financing.
- Whereas the Navy anticipates growing Human Resource needs while a shortage of suitable housing exists.
- Whereas the Navy will exchange LAND, Cash, Equity or combinations thereof for Wherry Owner’s Equity.
- Whereas the Wherry Housing Redevelopment Plan includes private and off-site developments for 1000 or more affordable housing units.
RECREATION, GOLF COURSE, ACQUATIC CENTER, PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
- Whereas the China Lake Golf Course is the only golf course in the region.
- Whereas the CL Golf Course is in great need of reconstruction and is functionally obsolete.
- Whereas the CL Golf Course will be reconstructed as a “Desert Style” Golf Course.
- Whereas the County or the City will acquire LAND including the China Lake Golf Course.
- Whereas the City Pool, dedicated to Sgt. John Pinney, was in disrepair and closed, and the City is without a pool.
- Whereas the City desires a new Aquatic Center.
- Whereas the Aquatic Center should be named the Sgt. John Pinney Memorial Aquatic Center.
- Whereas the CL Performing Arts Center, i.e., the station theater, is no longer usable.
- Whereas the Navy desires to build an Aquatic Center and a Performing Arts Center in the Wherry Housing area for Navy and Community activities.
- Whereas the City desires to own and manage the Aquatic Center and Performing Arts Center.
- Whereas the City desires to own additional land for parks near the Aquatic Center and Performing Arts Center.
NATIONAL HISTORIC PLACE, OFFICER’S CLUB RESTAURANT, JOHN F. KENNEDY NAVAL HISTORY MUSEUM
- Whereas President John F. Kennedy visited China Lake on June 6-7, 1963.
- Whereas President John F. Kennedy’s visit and Legacy have great historical significance in the Heritage of China Lake.
- Whereas the Officer’s Club and LAND is a Historic Place in the Community and eligible to be registered as a National Historic Place.
- Whereas the Officer’s Club formerly hosted the China Lake Museum, and the Museum wishes to return to the Officer’s Club location.
- Whereas the Officer’s Club should be reconstructed as a Museum and fine dining Restaurant replicating the original Officer’s Club.
- Whereas the Officer’s Club should be dedicated to the Legacy of John F. Kennedy and his heroism while serving in World War II.
- Whereas the China Lake Museum should be re-named the John F. Kennedy Naval History Museum at China Lake.
- Whereas the Navy, NAWSCL and the Community embrace the John F. Kennedy Naval History Museum at China Lake.
TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE
- Whereas the Navy and the City are currently negotiating the Sewage Treatment Facility location.
- Whereas the Indian Wells Valley is in a Critical Overdraft status and subject to severe water usage restrictions.
- Whereas this ACT provides for acquiring 2,500 acres of desert planted with pistachio trees and alfalfa.
- Whereas this ACT restores the Legacy of China Lake Naval Ordnance Test Station.
- Whereas the passage and implementation of this ACT is Vital to the Community.
- Whereas Time is of the Essence.
ACCEPTANCE AND APPROVAL
Whereas the PARTICIPANTS have prepared Letters of Intent in conjunction with the submission of this ACT with anticipated bipartisan sponsorship from Congressman Kevin McCarthy, Senator Diane Feinstein and
The President of the United States
Donald J. Trump